Friday, August 7, 2009

൯ MARMALADE, Lovin' Things|ObLaDi ObLaDa|Baby Make It Soon|Reflections Of My Life|Rainbow|

Marmalade were a successful Scottish pop/rockgroup, from Glasgow in Scotland, originally known as Dean Ford and The Gaylords between 1961 and 1966. They changed the group name to "The Marmalade" in 1966. The most successful period for the band, in terms of record success, was between 1968-1972. A later version of the band (from 1974 with various further personnel changes), exists to this day, with only Graham Knight remaining from the original members.

Unusually, Marmalade had two bass players, Graham Knight on 4 string, and Pat Fairley on 6 string, and were originally called Dean Ford and The Gaylords; who in 1964, were signed to EMI Columbia by Norrie Paramor and recorded four singles, including "Twenty Miles" which was a big seller locally, but failed to chart nationally.The group were well regarded in Scotland, and despite being crowned, 'Scotland's Top Group' decided to try to make it nationally.



Marmalade's label CBS were concerned at their lack of commercial success and threatened to drop them if they did not have a hit, and after the failure of another self-penned single later that year, "Man in a Shop", insisted they record more chart-oriented material. They rejected "Everlasting Love", which became a Number One for Love Affair, but later gave in to pressure and recorded , "Lovin' Things", arranged by Keith Mansfield, which reached No. 6 in the UK Singles Chart in the summer of 1968, (this was later covered by The Grass Roots in the USA in 1969, using virtually the same arrangement).



After a lesser hit with the follow-up "Wait For Me Mary-Anne" ( written by Alan Blaikley/Ken Howard), which only made No. 30, they enjoyed their most remembered UK success with their cover of The Beatles' "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da", which topped the UK chart in January 1969. As the first Scottish group to ever top the UK chart, the week it went to the top spot, they celebrated by appearing on BBC One's music programme Top Of The Pops, dressed in kilts. This was followed by further success with "Baby Make It Soon", (written by Tony Macaulay), which reached no 9, in the summer of 1969.


Baby Make It Soon
If you're coming home, like your letters say
And the place you're staying now, ain't too far away
Can you write tonight, just to let me know
Cos since you've been away girl, I've missed you so

You won't let me down, cos I'm sure you're homeward bound
And you'll be back safe and sound, cos I just know

*Baby make it soon, make it soon
(I can't wait another day)
Baby make it soon, make it soon
(Lord I know I need you, come on)
Baby make it soon, make it soon
(I need you right away)
Baby make it soon, make it soon
(Lord I've gotta see you)
Right back here, here in my arms

If you're coming home like you promised to
Will you write tonight and tell me what you're gonna do
For I'm lonley now and I'm gonna stay that way
Till I hold you so tightly in my arms again

You won't let me down, cos I'm sure you're homeward bound
And you'll be back safe and sound, cos I just know

**

After a change of record label to Decca Records, under a deal allowing them to write andproduce their own songs, they recorded what would become their biggest worldwide hit, topping the charts in Europe, (a Top 10 in United States, and No. 1 in most of South America), the melancholy "Reflections of My Life", written by Junior Campbell and Dean Ford, with its distinctive backwards guitar break by Campbell.



"Reflections of My Life" has recorded over 2 million sales and the writers were awarded a Special Citation of Achievement in 1998 by BMI in attaining radio broadcast performances in excess of 1 million in the US alone. Other UK hits included the mainly acoustic "Rainbow" (UK No.3), coupled with "The Ballad of Cherry Flavor", and "My Little One" (UK No. 15). [wikipedia]



Reflections of My Life
The changing of sunlight to moonlight.. Reflections of my life
Oh, how they fill my eyes
The greetings of people in trouble..Reflections of my life
Oh, how they fill my eyes
All my sorrow sad tomorrow, Take me back to my old home
All my crying (All my crying)
Feel I'm dying, dying, Take me back to my old home

I'm changing, arranging
I'm changing, I'm changing everything
Oh, ev'rything around me, yeah,
The world is a bad place
A terrible place to live, Oh, but I don't wanna die
All my sorrow sad tomorrow, Take me back to my old home
All my crying (All my crying) Feel I'm dying, dying
Take me back to my old home, All my sorrow sad tomorrow
Take me back to my old home, All my crying (All my crying)



Love The Marmalade very much, one of my top ten 10 list of fave bands truly dig their hits Baby Make It Soon & Reflections of My Life.

2 comments:

Pete said...

Aiya, forgot to key in this song the other day in Neway, Obladi oblada.....bra, bra bra bra bra bra bra......ha ha ha!

CheaHSan said...

You and your bra ha ha ha..