Tuesday, November 10, 2009

മ THE PLATTERS, My Prayers|Twilight Time|Smoke Gets In Your Eyes|Great Pretender|Only You|

The Platters were a successful vocal group of the early rock and roll era. The Platters formed in Los Angeles in 1953 and were initially managed by Ralph Bass. The original group members were Alex Hodge, Cornell Gunther, David Lynch, Joe Jefferson, Gaynel Hodge and Herb Reed.





The Platters' unique vocal style had touched a nerve in the music-buying public, and a string of hit singles followed, including two more Top 100 number one hits, one Hot 100 number one hit, and more modest hits such as "I'm Sorry" (#11) and "He's Mine" (#23) in 1957, "Enchanted" (#12) in 1959, and "The Magic Touch" (#4) in 1956. The Platters soon hit upon the successful formula of updating older standards, such as "My Prayer", "Twilight Time", "Harbor Lights", "To Each His Own", "If I Didn't Care" and Jerome Kern's "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes". This latter release caused a small controversy after Kern's widow expressed concern that her late husband's composition would be turned into a "rock and roll" record. It topped both the American and British charts in a tasteful Platters-style arrangement.



The group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990 and into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in its inaugural year of 1998. The Platters were the first rock and roll group to have a Top Ten album in America. They were also the only act to have three songs included on the American Graffiti soundtrack that sparked an oldies revival in the early to mid-1970s: "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes", "The Great Pretender" and "Only You (and You Alone)". [Wikipedia]



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No other group could ever duplicate their unique sound.
I like them a lot.

CheaHSan said...

Hi Secretia ~ Fully agree with you. I was very surprised as I was given a CD of Platters by my client who owns a recording company and I find no kick. But my views changed when I watched them on YouTube, probably an extra sense used helped to boost up, I'm loving them.

Unknown said...

I enjoy ' My prayer' and 'It's twilight Time'. Unique voices.

CheaHSan said...

Keats ~ yup! TQ